The Hope Scale measures your belief that the future will be better than the present and that you have the power to make it so. There is no charge for you to take the Hope Scale. You will receive your score immediately and see how it compares to the scores of others who use this website (this comparison data will be made available once we reach 250 completed Hope Scales). Keep a record of your scores so that you can return later and see how you’ve progressed. We recommend that you take the Hope Scale as often as once every three months to track how actively you are thinking about the future.
You must complete our free registration form below to use the Hope Scale. Your responses may be used in hope research (which is why some administrations of the Hope Scale will contain additional items), but your e-mail address, name, and password will not be used in research or shared with anyone else. We use your information only to help you access your own records and to send you information about the website.
If you take the Hope Scale, you are agreeing to the following statements:
- I am at least 18 years old.
- I understand that my Hope score(s) may be used in scholarly hope research.
- I understand that my personal information, including my email address, name and password, is collected only to help me access my Hope score(s) and will not be used in research or shared with anyone else.
- I understand that it is recommended that I take the Hope Scale as often as once every three months and that taking it more frequently will produce unreliable results.
- If I want to use the Hope Scale items for research purposes, I will seek permission by sending an email via the contact page.
- I will not use the Hope Scale items in any for-profit ventures.
- I understand that the Making Hope Happen Scale is the intellectual property of Shane J. Lopez.